Sunday, February 7, 2010

How can I split my internet connection from my laptop to my desktop.?

I have a laptop that is connected to my house's router through it's wireless card. I was wondering if I could split the internet connection I have with my laptop to my desktop through it's open Ethernet port? Any programs that allow you to do this? Both the laptop and desktop have open Ethernet ports.





I am trying to avoid buying another wireless card. No, I can't keep the desktop by the router.How can I split my internet connection from my laptop to my desktop.?
It's not worth it to turn on internet sharing. It will eat up your laptop's resources and pretty much make it not usable if your desktop is online and on top of all that, the internet will be very slow on the desktop. Just spend the money and get a wireless card.How can I split my internet connection from my laptop to my desktop.?
You can use a ethernet cable to connect your desktop directly to your router. Wireless network cards don't cost that much. Try ebay, tigerdirect, or newegg.





Fox is correct if you enable internet sharing you laptop will basically become a internet server for your desktop. It wouldn't be efficient to connect your network that way.
You really have only two reasonable choices. Run a long ethernet cable from your desktop to the router, or get a wireless device.





You can get a wi-fi device for as little as $10. The cheapest one I've seen is the AirLink 101 from Fry's Electronics. It is frequently on sale for about $10. It plugs into the USB port.






Yeah, the best option is to buy a wireless card for your desktop im afraid.. They are pretty cheap now..between 拢10 and 拢20.. The speed will be consistent on the 2 of them and you wont be using up resources unnecessarily...





Creating a network using CAT5 crossover cables could be complicated if you don't know what you are doing so i would just stick with wireless on both..

No comments:

Post a Comment