Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is the easiest and safest way to split up dogs fighting?

I took my Jack Russell for a walk this weekend. We were walking in a field and out of the blue, another dog (a lurcher I think), came running at him at attacked him. It was really awful, at one point my dog was pinned to the ground then he managed to free himself, but the dog had another go and sunk his teeth into his belly.We eventually pulled them apart, but it seemed to take forvever - we just couldn't grab hold of them. I've now had a 拢245 vet billWhat is the easiest and safest way to split up dogs fighting?
soak them with waterWhat is the easiest and safest way to split up dogs fighting?
you have to shout loudly and quickly.


Something like a very quick sharp,


OI!


or just somehting like


AH! AH!


BUT.... say it very fast and only once.


The dogs should look up at you and then you can grab one or call him/her towards you.
the owner of the other dog is responsable for the bill as there dog was not under control and not on a lead, hope you got there name and address
throw your coat over their heads the dark shocks them into letting go this also works if someone is being attacked cover the dogs head it lets go
Only someone very foolish would try...if you havnt got a hose pipe handy stay clear..if you intervene youll get seriously hurt.
You might not like this but it works,you'd be better advised to have a rubber glove handy. You have to poke your finger up the dogs rectum for it to release immediately.
well, for starters you could have grab a stick and try to scare the other dog(not your dog) away...if it doesn't work yet, try hitting the dog...
';TAIL'; em!!!


Each person taking hold of their OWN dog(so THEY are less likely to get bitten!)


Shift grips up to the THROAT %26amp; ***CHOKE*** em off!! HOLD ON tight %26amp; SQUEEZE til their eyes bug %26amp; they GAG %26amp; release!





DO NOT ';PULL'; them apart!!I It can make the wounds ***WORSE***!!!





It's OBVIOUS that NONE of the previous answers have ever even SEEN a real dog-fight,let alone DONE anything about it!!! MAROONS!!!
You are not liable to pay the vet bill, the lurcher's owner is. There is no real safe way to break up a fight however with a small dog, if you can safely grab it's back legs do so and swing it up high by the legs to seperate them .


Was your dog on a lead at the time? Sometimes one of those rape alarms can stop a fight before it gets too bad but you really MUST report this attack to the police as it sounds as though this will come under the dangerous dogs act part of the law which covers having a dog dangerously out of control in a public place. Having said that I find it very odd that alurcher would start a fight with anything. I'va had them all of my life and they are the most laid back easy going dogs in the world.


n.b. disregard the advice about cattle prods and pepper spray since such things are illegal in the UK.
How terrible for your dog. And how very irresponsible for the other owner to let the dog off the leash... because of course yours was on a leash and 100% in your control at all times, right? You must have just been too scared of the teeth to kick the other dog off and pick up your tiny little dog, so you let him get bit instead until your sense came back to you.





SHAME ON YOU! Next time- USE A LEASH!





If this happens again, turn your dog over to someone else. You can't handle the responsibility of keeping your dog safe- something every dog expects and deserves. You are the Alpha. The Alpha's job is to protect the pack. Your JRT is your pack. Pay your bill and learn your lesson!
just thro stones............................
I know for sure that throwing water on dogs does not always work and isn't always a feasible option. One way is to grab the attacking dog by the back legs (obviously if it is too big for you to lift this won't work). Moving along, grab the attacker by the hind legs and lift it off of the ground. The dog will let go b/c it has no idea what you are doing. You have to be quick, if it goes for you use the hind legs to whip it around and keep its head away from you. I haven't used this in an actual dog fight, but in games of tug when the dogs wouldn't let go. I have seen people pour water on fights and it does nothing other than get things wet.
The best way I can advise you to do is to THROW FREEZING WATER OVER THE ';ATTACKING DOG';. Of course, do not punish the innocent one. If ever your dog attacks, do the same. But if ever your dog was really in a bad fight and he seems to be losing, dive in and save him. That is if you want to risk your own life for your pal. But if you would rather watch the other dog cripple your dog in front of you, with no water to throw over the fighting dogs, let him fight alone.





My lamest advise?


Do not take your dog for walks, let him die in boredom and sadness. So that none of these will happen.


Sometimes you need to take risks to be happy.
hang on!! to the dog trainer why are you victimising this girl dog trainer my *** DONT JUDGE! when she had control over her dog and the lurcher attacked first. have i missed something. why on earth have you been footed with the vets bill? people who dont have there dogs on a lead make me mad to the core especially when pets are known for not getting on with other pets so some irresponsible owner takes his dog off the lead and it attacks your dog hurting the poor little thing and YOU have been footed with the bill grrrrr
Grab the dog that is doing the biting by the tail and stick your finger up it's bum. trust me it works. a Fella did it to my mum's dog once and it let go instantly, they just don't expect it.


however, if our dogs start we throw them in our eight foot deep pond. they either let go or drown.
water
I was going to suggest take the waterhose to them but I dont think that is always possible. When I go for a walk with my dog I always carry a nice thick walking stick by beating the dog you will hurt them enough to separate them but not cause any permanent damage. As soon as any dog starts in my direction I hold the stick up threateningly and they retreat.
I know how you feel and have had this same problem but that dog I had was killed. Since then I carry a rather long wood pole with me. Something like a broom stick and I drilled three holes through it near the end and inserted long hard nails and the cut the head off so I could sharpen both ends. Now when another dog attacks I can give him something to think about before he actually gets my dog. I even tried a cattle prod but it got a little costly keeping batteries in it. Rechargeable batteries may be the way to go if you use one of those. They do work well. It gives the dog an electrical shock and that will sure make it think about trying that again. The cattle prod does not harm the dog so it may be good for you to carry with you.
tough to say. sorry for your dog =(


my parents' coonhound and dobie got in a fight. dad shot 'em with a bb gun then broke the damn thing over their backs. they finally separated when mom soaked 'em with the hose.


i'd say water
Ive heard that if u grab it by the goolies it will freeze in it tracks. If it hasnt got goolies it doesnt work.!
Why not carry a walking stick to beat the other dog with.
this is exactly why i dont have a dog.


the stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!





when i was growing up my dad bred sbt's and unfortunately i have been traumatised by the fights, its is easier if the dogs dont have muscles in their jaws, lots of movement does make it hard to seperate if you can grab collars, both dog owners, and attempt to squeeze wind pipes so they release to get air then seperate. if one is latched on wood or similar to prize jaw open is good. i have been known to carry a wooden spoon around when walking a dog!
That's absolutely disgusting ! Why don't owners keep their dogs under control ? I feel sorry for you that you were the innocent party and ended up with a huge bill.It's not an easy thing to split up fighting dogs because you could end up getting hurt yourself.Carrying a walking stick might help a bit or hoping the police are driving by and can hit he offending dog with their baton.Perhaps one of those small panic alert gadgets which send out a high pitched noise might frighten the other dogs...it's worth a try because they are not too expensive.Good luck.... keep safe.


How does Sando dog trainer know your dog was on a leash ? Perhaps it wasn't and it was too far away from you to pick it up before the Lurcher pounced from nowhere !!!
Don't use your hands to separate them because they'll rip your hands apart (speaking from experiance here) use a big stick or your foot to kick them off each other.
There is no easy, safe or quick way; I always used to just dive in and scruff the pair of them. If I got bitten that was my look out.


One thing you can do is chuck your coat over your dog, then pick the whole bundle up. I've fooled a few big dogs doing that to my Russell. They sniff the ground where your dog was and don't get that he's wrapped up in the coat being carried away.
Get the help of a Chinese restaurant owner. They will run when they see him coming
Wow, that sounds awful! It's happened to me before though. If it's your dogs fighting then throw water on them or squirt them with the hose. If you are out walking-- that could be trickier. I live in a rural area and there are lots of dogs out here that run loose. Me and my dogs have been attacked by other dogs three times so far, though nothing as serious as what you're describing.





What I've started doing is carrying a wood plunger handle; I loop it through my belt loop in back so I can just reach back and grab it. That way if another dog attacks I can keep hold of my dogs' leash, reach back and grab the handle-- it's thin and light, so it's easy to keep hold of, and it's long so I can reach over and whack the attacking dog with it. Also if one dog has its jaws locked you can pry its mouth open with the handle without getting bitten yourself.





One time two of my dogs-- a Staffie and German shepherd mix-- started fighting when I was out for a walk and the Staffie locked her teeth in my other dog's neck! I tried to pry her jaws with my hands and my hands got cut really badly. I finally had to let go my shepherd's leash and let him run away, and keep a hold of the Staffie, and he finally managed to shake loose. It was scary ***!





A man I know who had two Staffies used an electric cattle prod that he bought at a feed store to separate them when they started fighting. It's kind of a strange idea, but it DID work. I think the cattle prod cost about $10 (US). It may sound cruel but much better than having to take the dogs and get them sewn up after they start fighting over a little scrap of meat, ya know?





Anyway, I hope that helps. You should carry pepper spray as well, but that's not as good of an idea because the pepper spray will get on your dog as well if you use it on an attacking dog. But it IS good for people! ;)
this is a tough situtation but i i am assuming your from great britan i dont know your laws but id say get yourself some pepperspray and if you see him coming a little squirt should do the trick if he is already locked on do not try to seperate them by their mouths in anyway you could get bit but if your dog will stop when you get the other one off grab the other dog by his back legs lift him high in the air like a wheel barrel and walk in a circular motion this also can be very dangerous he may turn on you every fight and every dog is different so try to avoid them at all cost id even get a stun gun if this is a on going problem but agian you can create a more dangerous situtaion for yourself i am not a professional i just know what i read so be careful
If you are around to where you can do it,grab a water hose and start spraying them down.This also works if they are stuck together while having sex.
THE ONLY WAY IS TO THROW WATER OVER THEM.
kick it in the belly, then it would be out of breath so you can drag it back home

No comments:

Post a Comment