Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is stretching for splits and kicks much harder when you are older?

Hi, does anyone know if it is harder to stretch for splits and martial art kicks when you are older? I am starting at the age of 23, will I struggle much more than a child? Will I ever be able to do the splits if my legs seem really un-agile? Also, would alcohol make stretching progress slower? Alcohol allows me to push the pain fresh-hold.





Thanks.Is stretching for splits and kicks much harder when you are older?
Hi there





Not at your age. You should be OK. I first started training at 17 and was able to do the box splits from when i was about 24 if my memory serves me well. 10 years on and i can still do them. I can't just drop into them anymore and it normally takes me a couple of minutes but its still there. The secret to any stretching is daily routine.





You need to stretch your hamstring muscles as well as the supporting muscle groups around your hip joints. Practice stretching everyday for 5 minutes and incorporate 3 or 4 exercises that stretch these muscle groups.





Some people say not everyone is capable of doing the splits because of the way their pelvis is formed. Not sure if there's any truth in that to be honest. All i can tell you is that with the correct exercises done everyday for 5 minutes it should take you roughly somewhere between 2 to 3 months to be able to do them. The last 6 inchs from the ground is the hardest part. It seems to take forever! ;-)





Stretching should only feel uncomfortable and never painful and controlled relaxed breathing helps you to stretch more. There's no gimmicks to stretching just put the time in with a good routine that's all you need.





Best wishes





idaiIs stretching for splits and kicks much harder when you are older?
I started at 20 and had no problem doing stretches now at 68 I can still do full front and side splits because I never stopped doing them.


The main problem some people have with splits and stretches is limited hip joint movement and that can't be overcome but extreme flexibility is not a requirement for effective fighting ability.Work with what you can do discard what you can't.
I'm 24, and have started trying to get splits again about 4 months ago. I thought it would take like a month or two (being as I could also do them when I was 10). My main goal is for martial arts as well....and I feel like I'm progressing really slowly!





It's still possible, just much harder as you get older. Side-splits for some reason are the slowest to progress - for instance, a few months ago I couldn't even touch my toes, and now I can put my chin to my knees bending forward!





I just decided today to stretch every few hours for the splits - this is my new mission / let's see who gets Van Damme chair splits first!
In my experience, not really. I started doing a striking style martial art when I was 32 and could do the splits in 6 months or so. I sincerely believe it has less to do with static stretching and more to do with trying to kick as high as you can with the proper form as often as you can.


There have been studies that showed this too. This study stated that in you'd have to statically stretch each muscle for something like 20 mins to improve the range of functional muscle stretch.
if you stretch everyday it will probably not be harder when your older if you stop stretching right now lol and try like 15 years later you will struggle and alcohol makes your muscles sore


like sometimes when i drink alot the next day it feels like i just worked out i dont know if alcohol messes up your stretching though
The answer is yes. A child will always have an early advantage when it comes to flexibility becuase their muscles, as children, are naturally and initially more elastic - it's a built in defense mechanism to protect against childhood injury. However, this is not to say that you can't achieve the same flexibility, even in a relatively short time, if you stretch smart and properly. The key to stretching in relation to kicking is to make sure you stretch gently at first, using only your weight to loosen the muscles, and after a routine of this, do it again with added tension, eg. pulling a bit on your feet to lower yourself more. In addition, stretching without actually doing the kicks as a routine will not help your kicking to the full capacity - stretching is very important, but equally important is actually using those muscles for the intended purpose - in this example - kicking. Otherwise, no matter how limber you b ecome, your kicks will never be as effective as the muscles won't be used to the motion.





As for the alcohol question - which I'm unsure if you're serious about - as a martial artist, you should avoid using any type of 'crutch' to make your training easier. Doing so forces your mind to become accustomed to discomfort and trains it to overcome pain. The problem with most US martial artists is that they're always searching for a way to make it easier - to make it fun and simple. It is often forgotten that training is supposed to hurt sometimes - it's supposed to be difficult and uncomfortable.


Lose the alchohol and train properly.
Alcohol dehydrates the body, so this is a bad situation regarding flexibility. You must strengthen your core first (stomach and back) as a weakness in this area will inhibit your potential. Your legs MUST be strong enough to support your own weight while you are in splits suspension. Here's the guide:


1. Plenty of sit ups and legs raises


2. Go for a 2 to 3 km run. Don't be excessive, scar tissue reduces your flexibility.


3. Don't ride a push bike. This limits your full-range of motion, thus shortening your muscles.


4. Do your leg strengthing excercises after your run.


5. When stretching, aim for full relaxation like you are almost asleep for a maximum stretch. This is almost like meditation.


6. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!!!
Hi


the secret to good stretching is, being consistent and a good worm up, and warm down, but yes it is a bit harder as you get older...

No comments:

Post a Comment