Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What type of counselor does a person with a split personality go to?

My boyfriend has a split personality and I want to know is he should go to a counselor, therapist, psychologist, etc.What type of counselor does a person with a split personality go to?
A counselor cannot prescribe medication; he (or she) is only there for you to talk to.





The same with a therapist.





If he needs medication, only a psychiatrist can prescribe that.





On the other hand: Who says that he has a split personality? You? Your parents? His parents? A person cannot get helped until he (or she) first acknowledges a need to be helped.





*** EDIT ***





OK, now that I see your added details, it is obvious that he wants to be helped. I am not sure of the law, but I do know that his parents are still responsible for him, and while he may be able to talk to whomever he chooses, when it comes to any medication I am pretty sure that his parents need to be the ones to approve of that.





When he turns 18, of course, that will be a different story, but NOW ...





But get the diagnosis first. I'm not saying that he is, but I remember when I was that age I imagined that I had all sorts of ';psychological'; problems. Most times those ';problems'; were just convenient excuses for me to act the way that I did.





People are always looking for an excuse; claiming schizophrenia is often nothing more than a more grown-up way of saying ';someone else did it - not me.';





You are doing the right thing by seeking out a doctor, but only he (or she) is qualified to say whether your BF is schizophrenic or not.What type of counselor does a person with a split personality go to?
Who has done the diagnosis? If he is a split personality he needs a psychiatrist! But if it is just your opinion and his opinion or even a whole groups opinion that he has a split personality disorder, then I would suggest that he take his concerns to any medical doctor and they should provide him with information as to what he can do next.
he should go see a psychiatrist at a psychiatric hospital, and if he does have the disorder he couldn't have diagnosed himself because split personalities are never aware of eachother, so whoever diagnosed him is an idiot and should have had him sent to a hospital





and no im not saying he needs a mental institution, a psychiatric hospital is just where people with certain disorders like that go to get the safest recovery possible
Maybe--call a clinic and talk to the psychology department. My ex has a multiphasic personality--he's one person in one place and another in another place. He's a good guy, a bad guy, a rich guy, a religious guy, a scheister, a tough guy, says he's a widower, says he has 4 kids (has 5, never paid much child support on ANY of them: two ex wives, both living so is NOT a widower.) If he'd just be himSELF! All of us can assume different attitudes in different places: like we're more relaxed and nonchalant at home than we are at work; we know people put on aires at church. But he goes to extremes and sometimes even changes his name. His different personalities don't talk to each other--he just is a different person depending on what he's doing. It's sad for him, me, all his kids (I have 2 of the 5, theres three other mothers.) My girls are extremely smart, but life was rough with no child support--one is doing ok work wise but hates me for everything that ever happened to her. The younger one sort of gave up--has a 2 year old and they live with me. He's a pretty neat little guy--tomorrow is actually his 2nd birthday. I wish I was younger and had more time and energy to keep up with him. I want the best for him--and hope his grandpa(s) never lays eyes on him.
Seek out a psychiatrist or psychologist (PhD or PschD) who is licensed and specializes in this disorder; contact Am Psychological Asso and/or Am Psychiatric Asso, local mental health agency, or get referral from a physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment